Use personalization for complex strategies
Many sellers make one mistake, they do not use content personalization in order to boost their sales. Many of those only use basic product recommendation which is a nice feature but is also hugely limited and is only one part of the whole complex strategy for boosting sales.
Content personalization is an umbrella term which describes variable customer experience based on their personal preferences.
Personalized content can be used in offers, products, notifications or many other ways of communication with customers. It is not limited to one channel only. While many functions were developed mainly for website use, current tools used for personalization such as Targito platform use a wide range of business strategies.
What types of content personalization can you run into?
E-shops have plenty of effective ways of working with personalized content.
The most used cases:
- Dynamic content – personalizes online content in a way that it puts or removes pictures, texts or products based on customer preferences.
- Pop-ups – windows which are opened through the actual page which the customer is browsing and those windows are often triggered by certain customer behavior.
- Banners – information typically located in the upper part of the website which contains certain messages for visitors and calls to action.
- Use of discount coupons – enables automatic use of certain bonuses in customer’s cart.
- Website push notification – notifications sent by e-shop to its customers via browser notification.
Where to use personalized content?
You should use personalized content throughout the customer path.
A lot of e-shops use personalization only on their home pages. However, the home page is only the main gate for many visitors to your website. You should collect behavior data of your customers not only on the home page but everywhere on your website so you can use this data for turning visitors into a customer.
Content personalization should be used across the whole website and in other communication sources in omnichannel strategy. Systems for intelligent emailing are able not only to personalize email campaigns but also to do it automatically and save a lot of time, many tens of hours which marketers can use for other marketing activities.
Individual channels which can be used:
- Home page – welcome information and personalized offer for returning customers.
- Landing pages – mainly if it is part of a wider funnel – can be personalized based on customer source or by the type of searched products.
- Inner pages of e-shop – personalization based on preferred information or products.
- Product pages – for example user score, instructions, offers to certain products.
- E-mails – typical communication tool using personalized content. It can take the form of segmentation or advanced dynamic content in the email body.
- Other – some e-shops use personalization in other areas of the customer’s path. For example, advertisements, blog posts or various navigation tools.
Approaches to content personalization
There are a whole range of ways to implement content personalization into your marketing. The most common use is personalization based on certain rules, triggers and system intelligent algorithms.
Content personalization based on predefined rules.
This kind of personalization works with predefined criteria. Typically, it is based on criteria which define the customer segment. Those criteria are paired with business goals of specific e-shop.
The best segments are based on customer behavior. We are talking about RFM segmentation which can segment your customers based on their purchase behavior. You will be able to communicate with each of them based on how often and with what frequency you are in touch with them.
Content personalization based on predefined triggers
This kind of personalization is often used in e-mail marketing but can also be used for website personalization. The mostly commonly used triggers are:
- Active behavior of customers – for example finalized purchase, registration etc.
- Unfinished activities of customers – for example abandoned carts.
- Fulfillment of time conditions – for example registration anniversary, approaching expiration date of subscription etc.
Content personalization based on system of intelligent algorithm
This kind of personalization differs from previous ones because it is not based on predefined criteria. It uses its own algorithm instead. Such a technology will decide on itself what are popular products for customers based on actual behavior of visitors.
In this article we showed some practical cases of which content personalization types you can use and in what way. Next step is up to you. Choose a proper quality partner for your marketing optimization. Choose a partner which will be able to fulfill your demanding requirements and start a cooperation!
With modern tools many e-shops can multiply their sales and get better results. For example, one of our clients with a mid-size e-shop with annual turnover of 250 million Czech crowns increased its turnover by 50 % only thanks to time optimization and database cleaning. Other client increased annual turnover by 5 times thanks to our personalized automatizations.
Remember it is important to find a partner which can connect data coming from different sources and which can work in a uniform way with different devices, which can segment data based on different criteria and work with them in a real time. It is good to be able to use a wide range of personalization techniques.
If you want to know more about what Targito has to offer and if we are the right partner for you please click here and ask for a demo.